Eligible candidates for the CIA® certification should fulfill the following criteria:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher, or
- Hold an active Internal Audit Practitioner designation, or
- Possess five years of internal audit experience, or
- Be an active student in their final year of college, or *
- Be an active student with an approved Internal Audit Education Partnership (IAEP) school.*
*Note: You are able to take the CIA exams, however, your certification will not be awarded until all program requirements are met (as they may submit professional experience).
Candidates may apply to the certification program and sit for exams prior to obtaining the required work experience. However, candidates will not be certified unless the experience requirement is met within the program eligibility period. Experience for the CIA’s certification program is based on the entry method (education background). To view, the work experience form click here.
Candidates must exhibit high morals and professional character and must submit a Character Reference Form signed by a CIA, CGAP, CCSA, CFSA, CRMA, or the candidate’s supervisor. To view the character reference form click here.
Candidates must provide proof of identification in the form of a copy of an official passport or national identity card.